Public transportation in Gainesville is extremely
inefficient. There is an unmet need for safe, reliable, and efficient public
transportation. As vehicles on the roads
increase, so due the number of traffic related accidents, which spells danger
to Gainesville residents and students. According to an article, “More Urbanites,
More Cars: The Challenge of Urban Safety and Health,” the number of traffic
related deaths reached 1.2 million deaths worldwide in the year 2013. In addition
to the health and safety concern, more cars on the roads means more greenhouse
gases in the atmosphere. An efficient public transportation system would reduce
the carbon footprint of Gainesville, as well as the energy needed to widen
roads with the trends of increasing vehicles. With a more efficient
transportation system, Gainesville residents and students can rely on an efficient
bus system or rail system as an alternative to driving. This is the case in
many European countries, where buses are given an entire lane priority and
metro rail systems quickly transport passengers long distances. Right now, more
people are driving cars and the city of Gainesville is building more roads. I
am 100% sure that this opportunity to prioritize an effective public
transportation system is needed.
#1: Middle-aged Gainesville resident:
-
What is your primary method of transportation in
Gainesville?
I drive my car everywhere. I work far from
where I live.
-
How often do you take the bus, and do you think
it can be more efficient?
I almost never take the bus. I can
definitely be more efficient.
-
Have you noticed the roads in Gainesville being
more dangerous?
Absolutely. There has been a lot of
construction. I couldn’t tell you a week, I haven’t seen an accident.
-
When do you take the bus and when do you choose
to drive instead?
I mainly drive because there aren’t bus
stops that are convenient for me.
-
Do you use any other method of transportation
other than a bus or a car?
Not usually.
-
Do you believe that buses should have their own
lane?
I’m not sure how that would work, but that’s
an interesting idea.
Reflection: Gainesville residents who aren’t a student at UF
don’t take the bus as much. The current bus system in Gainesville prioritizes UF
students, which makes taking the bus not a viable option. If the system was
more efficient throughout Gainesville, residents would be able to rely on public
transportation to get to work and wherever they need to go.
#2: Early twenties University of Florida student with a car:
-
What is your primary method of transportation in
Gainesville?
Mainly my car, bus I take the bus to campus
sometimes, honestly, I carpool a lot as well.
-
What is your experience parking on campus?
It’s terrible. Trash.
-
How often do you take the bus, and do you think
it can be more efficient?
I take the bus a few times a week. It can
definitely be more efficient. Sometimes students are too crammed in and all
standing really close to each other. It makes me really uncomfortable, so I
actually avoid it. Also, it takes forever to get home after class.
-
When do you take the bus and when do you choose
to drive instead?
I only take the bus home from campus if I
can’t get a ride from my friends, and I choose to drive on the weekends when I
run errands.
-
Do you use any other method of transportation
other than a bus or a car?
Yes, I bike to the grocery store sometimes,
and I Uber to downtown on the weekends.
-
Do you believe that buses should have their own
lane?
Yes! That would be amazing, but I don’t think
it’ll happen.
Reflection: An efficient public transportation system would
allow a UF student to choose to ride the bus more often than driving and carpooling,
which would minimize the health and safety concern associated with more cars on
the road.
#3: Early twenties University of Florida student without a
car:
-
What is your primary method of transportation in
Gainesville?
I mainly take the bus or walk everywhere. I
work and live close to campus.
-
How often do you take the bus, and do you think
it can be more efficient?
I always take the bus in the mornings and
in the afternoon to get everywhere.
-
Do you use any other method of transportation
other than a bus?
I have a bike, but I don’t use it much. I have
a longboard as well, but that can get tiring.
-
Do you believe that buses should have their own
lane?
Yeah, that would be great. It would definitely
encourage more people to take the bus, and there would be buses more often.
Reflection: UF students who live close to campus rely less
on transportation in general. These students would probably benefit the least
from a more efficient public transportation system. Regardless, they would
benefit from the reduced carbon footprint of the area.
Summary:
I personally believe an efficient transportation system in
Gainesville would be a simple solution to the growing threats and energy needed
to continue to adapt to a city with more cars. I was in Paris and Amsterdam
recently and their public transportation system is so efficient that even
residents with cars choose to take the bus and metro instead because it is
faster than driving. These cities also have less parking garages and less urban
space devoted to cars. Instead, they are able to have more green spaces. Roads
in the United States are tailored for cars and much of the urban space is growing
roads.
Hey Kassylla,
ReplyDeleteGreat post! You have a great idea, and I definitely agree that Gainesville needs some form of mass transportation. With a university as large as ours, some kind of tram system would not only help the environment, but the students as well. I've been to Amsterdam as well-one of my favorite cities- and they're above ground tram system would work great at UF! Overall, really awesome post!
Hi Kassylla! I enjoyed reading about your business opportunity. I think that an express lane for busses would be a tremendous addition to the city of Gainesville. This opportunity reminds me of the couple times that I have visited Disney Springs. The busses in Disney Springs have their own lanes and lights, making it the fasted mode of transportation when you are there. If this were implemented in Gainesville, I believe more people would use the busses. Go for it, Kassylla!
ReplyDelete