Friday, February 15, 2019

11 - Idea Napkin No. 1


Who are you? 
My name is Kassylla and I am a Business Administration Major and a French and Francophone Studies Minor. I am someone who is passionate about global affairs and love to learn and embrace different cultures and connect with people. I speak roughly four languages: Portuguese (my native language), English, Spanish, and French, and I will learn more in the future. Another major thing about me is that I am passionate about sustainability and protecting our planet from human depletion. I am Vice President of Sustainable Business Group at UF. SBG is a student-led consulting group that conducts volunteer audits of local businesses in Gainesville focusing on maximizing sustainable efforts. My goals are to eliminate business practices that are harmful to the environment. During my time traveling in Europe, I recognized they have busses and metros that run very smoothly and efficiently, so I know that it is possible to improve public transportation in this city. A successful public transit that I am pushing for is definitely an opportunity that I believe will significantly make a difference in the city’s overall carbon footprint.

What are you offering to customers? 
What I am offering is a public transportation system that will run faster and smoother. There will be a series of street and traffic regulations. The main project is implementing and enforcing bus-only lanes during peak times in major roads. Work conditions for bus drivers will also be improved. The goal is to increase the number of busses and routes so that they are more accessible and convenient.

Who are you offering it to? 
I am offering it to all of the residents and commuters in Gainesville, FL. Particularly those who rely on public transportation to get around, usually because they are unable to afford a private vehicle, or they are unable to drive one. There are also many people, like me, who choose the most environmentally-friendly options whenever they can.

Why do they care? 
I believe that this opportunity will benefit so many people and the environment. With a bus system that is actually a better alternative than driving, the number of vehicles on the road will decrease, making traffic conditions safer and reducing carbon emissions in the air. Passengers will have more busses and routes, which will make commuting much more flexible and convenient. It will also affect the number of urban space dedicated to parking lots. These spaces can be utilized for more efficient purposes, such as more housing or more parks and green spaces.

What are your core competencies? 
My opportunity is calling for a radical change of the current traffic patterns and regulations currently in place. Gainesville officials are trying to accommodate for the growth in the city’s population by expanding and increasing the number of roads. However, this only induces demand of more roads. They should instead be focusing on ways to improve the public transportation system, which will actually improve road conditions and safety.

Fit together / out-of-joint?

I believe that these elements work well and is definitely a possibility. People are more environmentally conscious, and car bills are too costly for many, so I believe gaining support for this opportunity will not be difficult. From the interviews I’ve conducted, I’ve concluded that a lot of people support this idea, but some don’t think it is feasible. I agree that it would be a steep learning curve for many people, especially those with no experience taking public transportation or no knowledge of successful implementations of this opportunity in other cities. To strengthen the opportunity, educating people on how public transportation works and all of its benefits will most likely be necessary.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kassylla, it is interesting to read your introduction about yourself. Your background is so diverse! It is clear now why your passions are centered around your community and love for the environment. I think your business opportunity is a great reflection of your background because you are able to show examples of how your opportunity is already being executed in different countries. I think that your business opportunity, while very ambitious, is very important and feasible if you get the right people behind you. Adequate funding and lobbying will definitely needed, but it is possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kassylla, I really enjoyed your post! I studied and traveled throughout Europe as well, so I know what you mean when you referred to how efficient their transportation system is. I will be going to graduate school in Europe too because I love the culture there. I was I had known about the sustainability club earlier, I would have loved to have joined. Overall, you have a great idea and I think it would be very successful in Gainesville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kassylla,

    I think public transportation is a great area of society to try and improve. Most busy cities in the world can definitely better their public transit from the bottom up, and a lot of cities barely have any if at all. Your conclusion on how everything fits together is also accurate, and I think you're on a really good track with this idea. Good work

    ReplyDelete