Friday, February 22, 2019

14 - Halfway Reflection



Keeping up with a class like this one is difficult. There are many assignments due on different days and at different times. Some of the behaviors I’ve applied to this course include being well-organized and engaged with the class lectures and announcements. It’s very important to check canvas at least once a day for this class. I’ve also gotten on the habit of setting reminders on the calendar on my phone. It’s quick to check and I’m always on my phone anyways.

The one time I truly felt like giving up on something was when I realized that going on a study abroad program was going to more difficult than I imagined. I was hoping to go on the business program in Paris. However, I needed to work during the Summer to keep up with my bills and tuition expenses. My parents weren’t able to help me financially, so I looked for scholarships. I applied to many but didn’t receive any aid. I had essentially given up when my French professor, Dr. Bloom, suggested I joined her in the study abroad program that she was directing instead. It was a shorter program, thus less expensive, and I was able to find a middle ground by working half of the summer and spending 6 weeks in Paris instead of 12. What pulled me through was my professor. She was able to work with me to figure out what I can do with my circumstances. Sometimes the plans we have fall through, but with the right support, we can find a way to reach our goals, even if it’s not with the path that we envisioned.

I believe I’ve developed a more tenacious attitude during the last two months.  Having to write on a blog about a business opportunity every week has made it easier to express my opinions and vision. The way the assignments are broken down every week is great because it eases the thought process on how to solve the problems we are presented with. Conducting the interviews has definitely contributed to this growth. I had to step out of my comfort zone, and it’s made me more confident on presenting my opinions.

The three tips I would offer to the next semester’s student are:

1.     Be organized – Make lists and use calendars to keep up with assignments.
2.     Take breaks – be mindful of your surroundings and use the real world as inspiration.
3.     Reach out to mentors - don’t be afraid to ask for help.


My little corner of the world - Paris, France


3 comments:

  1. Hey Kassylla, congrats on making it to the halfway mark! I agree with you that this class has been challenging in the fact there are a lot of deadline and you have to stay organized in order to stay on top of everything! I also agree that this course has made me better at speaking about my ideas and vision for a business opportunity. I think this is a great practice to carry not only into the second half of this course, but also after this course is over. Having the ability to clearly and concisely express an idea is a great skill to have in any job or project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kassylla,

    You seem to be keeping up with the rigor of the class easily! I am glad you were able to spend some time in Paris, I am actually going there this summer, however, I am sorry that it was not your original plan. I think it shows a lot of tenacity to not just give up completely when something goes wrong but to instead move forward in to some middle ground.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Kassylla,
    I totally agree with you in the aspect that this class can be difficult because it requires time and effort to complete the assignments. Like you said organizing yourself will definitely help you in this class. Personally, I have had to learn this the hard way and now I have become more organized in starting my assignments with time. Overall, good job with your post.

    ReplyDelete