Friday, April 12, 2019

26 - Celebrating Failure


As I graduate this semester, I have been preparing for this next big transition in my life. For a long time, I was unsure of my next steps. This semester, I decided that I wanted to pursue a Master’s in Business Administration. The only thing I needed was a good GMAT score by the deadline. As much as I tried to study and focus on the GMAT, more urgent responsibilities arose that I had to prioritize. I even paid and scheduled an exam but wasn’t prepared in time and ultimately re-scheduled for June. I plan to apply next year but I felt extremely disappointed in myself. I have always been my toughest critic; however, after talking to my classmates who are taking a gap year, I’m less hard on myself and I’m turning this into an opportunity to gain experience and work on myself. I learned that opportunities can come from failures.
My favorite quote from J.K. Rowling goes, “It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all, in which case you have failed by default”. When I first heard this message, I understood it as a warning. Until recently, I was cautious and never really took risks. I believed that I had to wait and the right time to act will come. But I’ve learned that I have to be the one to take initiative in order to succeed and fear of failure would hold me back more than failure itself. I am now more confident and motivated to pursue my career goals and personal ambitions.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kassylla,

    I had a very similar situation last year when I was planning on taking the LSAT. I actually signed up and paid for two different LSAT tests but ending up pushing them back because I felt like I was not ready to take it yet because my classes were really hard that semester and I just did not have the time to focus on studying for the LSAT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kassylla,

    It seems like you were making a choice between studying now for your GMAT or doing well in your courses. I would agree with what your decision was, and I would not call it a failure by any means. It can maybe considered a failure to prepare, but you had not even gone into the testing room to partake in the exam. I really liked your quote from J.K. Rowling as well, as it highlights the importance of not standing around but acting first. Good post!

    ReplyDelete