For this reflection, I chose to read about Berry Gordy. This
time, I wanted to study an entrepreneur that I knew almost nothing about. What
surprised me the most was that Gordy formed Temla Records, later Motown
Records, with only an $800 loan from his family. This is encouraging for anyone
who thinks they don’t have the financial means to reach for their goals. What I
admire most about Berry Gordy was his ambition and his courage to quit his steady
job and follow his dreams at the age of 27. What I least admire about Gordy are some of
his policies regarding fair payment and credit to employees and artists. Many
felt taken advantage of, with some big names, like Gladys Knight and the
Temptations, leaving the record label.
The competencies that defines Berry Gordy is his hard work
and dedication. As the founder of Motown, he was a very engaged leader and participated
in every aspect of the label. He called weekly meetings and maintained a very
high standard for what the record label represents.
One part of the reading that was confusing was his
explanation and reasoning for selling Motown Records. The community around the
label didn’t support this decision and were upset.
If I could ask Berry Gordy two questions, they would be:
·
“What was the deciding factor for the sale of
Motown Records?
·
“How did your goals and aspirations change once
the sale was completed?
From the autobiography, I was mostly fascinated and curious
about why he sold the record label, while keeping the film and television part
of the company. His passion for music is undeniable and I wonder what internal
and external forces led to his decision. I also want to know how Gordy was
affected by this major transition in his company.
Berry Gordy would believe that hard work is the number one
tool in an entrepreneur’s toolbox. He started with very little and by putting
in the time and resources into his goals constantly, he was able to succeed.
Hi Kassylla,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your answers for this assignment. I also know nothing about Gordy but I can see what would be admirable about him. I also agree that his policies must have been bad surrounding fair payment if big names like Gladys Knight quit the label even though it was the label that made her famous. I also wonder why he would sell something he was so passionate about.